At Commonwealth Senior Living, we are proud to serve our residents nutritious, filling, and delicious meals made from locally-sourced ingredients. We also know that caregivers need to take care of themselves by eating nutrient-dense foods, which will provide plenty of energy. No matter who you are, you can use a quick, easy, delicious meal like this Autumn Salad presented by Chef Andre at Commonwealth Senior Living at Gloucester House.
With hearty ingredients like kale, apples, cranberries, butternut squash and a simple vinaigrette, there’s no reason not to try this perfect salad for fall!
If you’d like to see Chef Andre demonstrate his tricks for making this salad, check out this video: https://wtvr.com/2018/10/18/hearty-and-colorful-autumn-salad/ We’re very proud that he’s been featured on the local news again!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ready Time: 20 minutes
1 Large Bunch of kale, ribs removed and chopped
1 Romaine lettuce heart, chopped
1 fresh gala apple, sliced (Toss in lemon juice to keep these from turning brown)
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup candied pecans
¼ cup sliced pickled beets
¼ cup crumbled bleu cheese
¼ cup diced butternut squash, roasted
½ each small red onion sliced
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon white cane sugar
Ground Black Pepper
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, orange juice, and sugar.
2. Continue to whisk while slowly adding the olive oil to insure the dressing pulls together.
3. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste
4. This is where it gets FUN!!!! Be Creative!
5. Using a large dinner plate, place greens in the center of the plate
6. Add sliced apples, dried cranberries, pecans, bleu cheese, red onion, pickled beets, and butternut squash
7. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve