We were very proud to have Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk represented on the Hampton Roads Show late last month. Our own Chef Jennifer Sinnott demonstrated how to make mini apple pies using mason jar lids. On the show, she used store bought pie dough for the interest of time. Watch the clip here. But we thought there was a chance some viewers might have been interested in the full recipe. Here you go!
Chef Jennifer Sinnott’s Mini Mason Jar Lid Pies
2 Cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Cup Vegetable Shorting (room temp)
2 Tablespoons of Cold Water
1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
1) Blend Flour & Salt.
2) Slowly add small pieces of shortening to flour mix. Blending while adding.
3) Mix the egg, water and Vinegar.
4) Pour liquid mixture over flour mixture and mix with a fork.
5) Divide dough in half, Roll into balls, wrap with plastic and chill for 15 mins.
6) Dust rolling pin and board. Roll Dough thin.
7) Cut the dough in (4) rounds slightly larger than you mason jar lid.
8) Save remainder of the dough for the tops of the pies.
5 Granny Smith Apples, Peeled and small diced
1 Tablespoon of Butter
1 Cup of Sugar
3 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 Table spoon of Vanilla
1/4 Cup of Apple juice
1) Saute Apples in the butter (3mins).
2) Add the flour and blend well.
3) Add the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and apple juice until thickened.
4) Cook on low until apples are tender and filing is thick.
-Fill pies with apple stuffing. Top with dough any way you want to design them.
Example: Lattice topping or tradition pie topping.
-Bush pies with Egg wash and Cinnamon sugar Mix.
-Bake pies at 350 degrees 10-12 mins.